Saturday, July 22, 2006

Well Let's Just Call a Spade a Spade

Since working in China reminds me of a three ringed circus (although in this case we have added issues: the animals have been shipped to another city, the lights don't work in one of the rings, the clowns are on strike, and the audience was expecting a baseball game).... A few more pics here for Sobes before I depart for Beijing. I don't know if I'll have access to my computer for the trip, so this may be the beginning of a 10 day hiatus for Paddy. I'll be back to Shanghai on the last day of July and then return to DC on 2 August. So all of you better mark your calendar and shine your dancin' shoes cause I got a date with a big girl named Nanny and you're all on chaperone duty. Mr. P recently wrote me to say he's looking forward to a Misty evening as well...if you get my drift WOP.

The shot to the right (and above) came from the Chinese circus, tickets to which we had to squeeze out of Mr. Kwan from the kickback money he swindled from us in Hangzhou by taking the group to a tea plantation 'tourist destination' - these are all over China and entail taking a bus of Westerners to some local craftshop or factory with a shop attached that charges 400% more than what is normally changed. This is normal business in China; we figure one of Kwan's associates was set to make about $1000 from our visit to the tea plantation before Taeko got wind of the whole deal.

After a class in traditional Kun Opera the entire program went out to get a 'glimpse' of several stagings of a few classic works. While I enjoy the costuming, I have to admit that I find the 'music' and stylized movements rather annoying (Sully and Mully know what I'm talkin about).

6 comments:

Oliver Wolfe said...

So which one is you?

Anonymous said...

im going to be taking a hiatus as well doc, Bowles Music fellowship coming up this next week. If anybody has any tips concering college park maryland, please fill me in. Also (this is a blatant plug), for anyone into percussive arts, our U of Maryland Summer Percussion Workshop concert will be in Dekelbourm Concert Hall (College Park Campus) at 3 on saturday (July 29th). Last year the camp's concert made the Washington post and got a good review (not even pirates of the carribean can say that). And after a week of drumming I could probably beat out a few tunes on the bodrhan if any one at Nanny's would be willing to play with me.

Anonymous said...

I, for one, love the singing and the sound of traditional opera (Beijing opera, at least). The voice of one Lady Butterfly is particularly enchanting.

Anonymous said...

I, for one, love the singing and the sound of traditional opera (Beijing opera, at least). The voice of one Lady Butterfly is particularly enchanting.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»